Friday, July 13, 2012

Edinburgh

The layout I lifted for this page can be found in Creative Keepsakes Volume 16 issue 6 page 30

I liked the jumble of the pictures, and the fact that some were vertical and some horizontal, and the fact that there was lots of room for journaling was a definite plus.  I used a small stamp that I'd bought at Micheal's a few years ago and created a stamped border at the bottom and used gold embossing powder on them.   I used a stitching template for the border around the top, stitched it with blue & white baker's twine, doodled circles around the little starburst designs, and then topped it with a blue gem.  The silhouette of the bagpiper was cut on my Silhouette SD.  I used a dymo label maker for the numbers on the pictures which coordinate with the journaling.  The simple title is from a set of stickers I picked up at Hobby Lobby.

The journaling reads:

Edinburgh is full of hundreds of years of history. These are only a few of the places we saw. 1)This was a very wide street which was formerly the Grassmarket, the place of public hangings in the 16th century.  2) I’m actually not sure what this was, but it was one of the pictures we took on the way to the bus stop. 3) St. Giles’ Cathedral; we didn’t see the inside. 4)World’s End Close: it was named as such because many people who lived on that street never left it. They were born, worked, and died without leaving the street.  5) I had to get a picture in a phone booth; but was glad I didn’t have to use it because it smelled so bad.  6) Holyrood Palace; it was closed the day we were there which means that someone from the Royal family was staying there. 7) The North bridge connects the High Street with Princes Street. 8) I don’t know the name of this street, but we saw it several times on our bus rides. 9) We did a lot of shopping on the royal Mile. 10) A picture of the buildings and shops along the royal mile. 11) Edinburgh Castle on top of the volcanic rock.  This is the side where Greyfriar’s bobby came down. L 12) for a pound, you could get your picture made with this young man playing the bagpipes.  13)We ate at “The Filling Station” both nights in Edinburgh.  I did try a sip of scotch here the last night so I could say that I drank scotch in Scotland.  I didn’t care for it that much.  14) We had planned on climbing Arthur’s seat while in Edinburgh; but the weather was not cooperative, and we were tired by that last day…and knew we had a lot of walking for the Mary King’s Close tour that night.

No comments: