Monday, August 22, 2016

Twisty Turvy boy quilt

There's a cute young couple at church expecting their first child next month and I decided to make a baby blanket for him.  I found out they were doing a nautical theme and went looking for material.  Whew, cannot believe the options out there!  So of course I had to message the future aunt and find out the color scheme...and find their registry online to make sure I didn't clash with things they were getting.  I found some really cute nautical prints at Spool.
 But before I went to Spool, I went to Pins and Needles because they told me on the phone that they had some nautical fabrics.  Turns out, they only had one; I got enough for the back of the quilt.
 This is what the quilt looked like at 4 am the morning of the baby shower.  I decided to present it to them at the baby shower and then be an indian giver and take it back for a week.
That week turned into about a month, but I still got the finished product to them before the baby was born, and that's what counts, right?  I did a stitch in the ditch for the center panel quilting, but then did a wave stitch around the border.  Definitely not perfect, but I think it's pretty good for a beginner on a domestic machine.

You might notice that there was a blue and white stripe in the original stack of fabrics, but when I put that up against the backing, they did not play well together.  Luckily I had some fabric that I had originally chosen for my niece's quilt at Christmas; but I decided that I didn't like it, so I bought some different fabrics.  I decided that this went well with the twisty turvy design and the color scheme.

I just hope they overlook the areas where the machine messed up on the back just a little.

No comments: