Friday, October 5, 2012

Our Scotland Journey

The prompt today was to tell about your journey, how you get some where or how you do something.  This really fit in with what I had intended to do this month, creating a digital album which I would then have printed to present to my 2 sisters who went to Scotland with me in the spring and for my friend who lives there.  So, I downloaded the trial version of PhotoShop Elements and then searched the web for  a template that would work with what I wanted to do, and then decided to create one from scratch. Then I had to search for tutorials on how to start a blank page, how to add things to it, how to do the masking and clipping, etc.  It took me over 24 hours for this first digi layout, but I think I'll be able to do it much quicker next time around.  Especially since I created a couple of templates along the way that I like, but wasn't able to use due to the maps I wanted to use.  Speaking of maps, that's what took a LOT of the time, creating the maps on google and then doing a print screen, pasting it in paint and then cropping out a bunch of stuff.  The digital kit I used is designed by Megan Turnidge, and is available on thedailydigi.com

My sisters really wanted to see exactly where we went and where we stopped along the way.  The text on the outside, beginning at the bottom left corner and wrapping all the way around lists our main stops.  Not all of these stops are on the week long map in the middle of the page because there were too many for the software; so I broke it down into the main 5 days of driving.  The last day we didn't drive anywhere, we just rode the bus into Edinburgh and spent the day there.


There's so much of Scotland I didn't get to see, I'm thinking I need to go back and spend another week.

If you would like to make a map like this with little markers for where you stopped, go to google maps and create the map, then click on 'print screen'.  Open the software paint which is on most computers in the accessories folder on the start menu, click on the paste icon and then crop the unwanted items and save the .jpeg

No comments: